Mint and chocolate form one of the greatest flavor combinations on earth. Seriously. Mint chocolate chip ice cream. Andes after-dinner mint chocolates. York peppermint patties.
York peppermint patties specifically inspired this recipe. They were my favorite candy as a kid and I wanted to make a nutritious version that included all of the benefits of collagen, but none of the flavor. The collagen in this recipe is undetectable, even for children, so it’s a great way to sneak some collagen into your life. The patties are missing the cream filling, but I find that coconut butter has a somewhat fudge/creamy texture so it does the job.
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted/softened (aka coconut cream or coconut manna, store-bought or homemade*)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons hydrolyzed collagen (I buy mine here)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until thoroughly mixed together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil).
- Fill a tablespoon completely with the filling, patting it down with your fingers so it’s really packed in.
- Gently tap the tablespoon against the baking sheet and let the dome-shaped coconut mixture fall on the baking sheet. Using your fingers, pat the dome down until it is a flat, round patty shape about 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. You should have 8 patties.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes, pop the patties off the sheet, and enjoy!** Store left-overs in an air-tight container in the fridge.
*The coconut butter I used was store-bought and had quite a lot of oil separation. Homemade coconut butter might not be oily or smooth enough, so if your coconut butter seems dry or gritty, add 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil to the coconut butter and blend before adding in remaining ingredients. **If you don’t want to eat these right away then you can place them in the fridge to harden and leave them to store in the fridge until you’re ready to dig in.
Affiliate Disclosure: If you make a purchase through one of my links in a recipe I may receive a small commission for your purchase, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blogging activities.